Mindfulness is the practice of maintaining a non-judgemental state of heightened or complete awareness of one's thoughts, emotions or experiences on a moment-to-moment basis.
We believe positive change and lasting fitness begins with a healthy mindset. By approaching fitness with the right core attitude, it becomes more than simply a workout to lose weight or get in better shape – it becomes a journey of becoming a more complete individual in mind, body, and spirit.
All physical activities at Ekata are rooted in the principle of mindfulness. The following are benefits of mindfulness practice:
- Changes brain structure to improve the ability to focus
- Promotes creative thinking
- Increases one's ability to manage pain and decreases healing time
- Leads to increases in brain gray matter density responsible for functions including learning and memory
- Effective in treating stress-related health problems
- Increases resiliency to stress and boosts immune response
- Strengthens emotional coping skills
- Decreases emotionally reactive behavior
- Reinforces exercise consistency
We offer mindfulness based classes Monday through Friday. Please see our schedule for details.
At Ekata students are exposed to several forms of meditation such as Mindfulness, Mantra, Zen and Taoist Meditation. All meditation is taught in a secular format so it complements any spiritual practice and does not contradict Christian teachings. It is said that in meditation there are many paths but the destination is the same. We believe that by exposing students to different approaches, each individual can find the process that works best and incorporate the practice into their life. The core of meditative practice involves learning to be present in each moment and accepting of life as it is. This leads to many profound insights over time and greatly reduces the stress.